• Visit the Monastery of Agios Georgios above Doxa lake. There, under the
leadership of Commander-in-Chief Theodoros Kolokotronis, meetings of the
chieftains of the 1821 Greek Revolution took place. The central church of the
Monastery is rich in relics; there is also an exquisite temple. The Secret
School of those days would assemble next to the dome
• The artificial lake Doxa has been created lately and at the centre of it,
the little church of Agios Fanourios peeps out. It was right there that the old
Monastery of Agios Georgios stood; due to the constant floods, it has been
transferred to a new location
• Visit the Monastery of Panagia tou Vrachou (Madonna of the Rock) in Tarsos,
which is built inside the crevasse of a big rock overlooking Mount Ziria
• Go by the acropolis of ancient Pheneos and the temple of Aesculapius near
the village of Kalyvia. In the village of Feneos, visit the Folklore and the
• At the seat of the municipality, the town of Goura, admire the central
church by the square and the mansions of the chieftains of the 1821 Greek
Revolution. In the village of Panorama, pay a visit to the Byzantine church of
Agios Demetrios, dating back to the 13th century A.D.
The Municipality of Feneos is situated in the southwestern part of Corinthia and is characterized by landscapes than remind more of Switzerland rather than Greece. The villages of the municipality are scattered around the plateau of Feneos, between the mountains of Chelmos and Ziria.
The area is associated with important mythological and historical elements. On the plateau of Feneos there would be frequent floods with water overflowing from Doxas and Olvios rivers. When observing the nearby mountain ranges, one can still tell where the surface of the lake had been in the past.
According to a local myth, the sinkholes where the lake water would disappear into were the Gates of Hades. Nowadays, it is believed that the plateau’s waters wash ashore at the springs of Ladonas. The small artificial lake of Doxa has been created near the old lake.
Above the artificial lake of Doxa, which is surrounded by the fir-tree wooded mountains of Chelmos and Ziria, stands the 16th-century Monastery of Agios Georgios. It is estimated that the Acropolis of ancient Pheneos and a temple dedicated to Aesculapius had been built in the vicinity of the village of Kalyvia.
• Municipality of Feneos: +302747051071, +302747051081
• Police Department of Goura: +302747051203
• Goura Health Care Centre: +302747051333
• Museums: Archaeological Museum of Feneos: +302747041228 – Folklore Museum of Feneos: +302747051276
• Monastery of Agios Georgios of Feneos: 2747041226 - Monastery of Panagia tou Vrachou (Madonna of the Rock) in Tarsos: +302747051296
How to get there
• KTEL Long-distance bus station: Corinthos +302741080561