• On New Year’s Eve people exchange “Miniature Ships”, which were used in the old days as house decorations instead of the Christmas tree
• On the last Friday of the Carnival, get acquainted with the local custom of the Mostra of Thymiana where the locals dance the Talimi
• Attend the local traditional event of “rocket war”, held annually in the village of Vrontado at Easter
Perfecture of CHIOS
Region of North Aegean Capital town: Chios Area: Population:
The fragrant island of Chios, the island of the gum mastic, of the medieval villages with a maritime tradition, is the fifth biggest Greek island. Together with Oinousses, the heroic island of Psara and Antipsara they comprise the Prefecture of Chios opposite the Asia Minor coastline.
Chios is the capital; it has a rich architectural and cultural heritage. The mosque, the Aplotaria quarter, the picturesque queue, Genoan manors of the plain and the picturesque alley-ways stand out, amidst the colourful garden and fields.
The medieval villages are built around the areas where the gum mastic grows, and constitute live monuments of defensive architecture with mazy alley-ways. In western Chios, the deserted Anavatos and the vast beaches will impress visitors.
The first inhabitants of the area were the Pelasgians. Some other tribes followed suit, until the Ionians arrived in 1100 BC. In 493 BC the area was conquered by the Persians. The Romans and the Arabs looted the island repeatedly until the coming of the Byzantines. For two centuries, Chios came under the Genoan rule.
In 1566 the Turks occupied the island. In 1822 there was a rebellion in Chios; in the retribution that followed the islanders were massacred by the Turks. In the same year, the Turkish flagship was blown up by the Admiral Kanaris. Chios was liberated in 1922.
• Prefecture of Chios / Tourism Bureau: 2271044206
• Tourist Police: 2271044427
• General Hospital of Chios: 2271044302
• Museums: Archaeological Museum: 2271044239 – Chios Art Gallery: 2271043830 – Museum of Nea Moni:2271079370 – Nautical Museum of Chios: 271044139 – Nautical Museum of Oinousses: 2271055620
How to get there
• By boat, Chios is connected daily with Peiraeus, Psara, Oinousses, and with Tsesme on the Asia Minor coastline. There are less frequent connections with Thessaloniki, Volos, Kavala, Alexandroupolis, Samos, Rhodes, etc.