Region of Central Macedonia Capital town: Serres Area: Population:
The capital of the Prefecture, Serres, is a city that bears several interesting buildings, neoclassical and Byzantine ones. On the pine-clad hill of Koula, the ruins of the ancient Acropolis and of the Byzantine Castle testify the area’s significant historic past.
By 437 BC the village of Amphipolis had become an Athenian colony. Outside the village stands the Lion of Amphipolis –an epitaph sculpture monument of the 4th century BC. The settlement of Sidirokastron is built on the bank of the Krousovitis river.
The Cave of Alistrati, one of the biggest in Greece, is especially interesting. The magnificent Canyon of the river Aggitis, as well as the artificial Lake Kerkini and the river Strymonas, are of great natural beauty and ecologic significance.
The first inhabitants of Serres were Thracian tribes, followed by other tribes up until their submission to the Persians in the 6th century BC. From the 4th century BC, the area became a province of the Kingdom of Macedonia until its conquest by the Romans in 168 BC.
During the Byzantine Era, Serres became the “apple of discord” between the Bulgarians and the Slavs. In 1383 AD, the city was occupied by the Turks. During the Ottomal Rule, due to favourable regulations, local trade flourished. Then followed the Greek Revolution of 1821 and the Macedonian Struggle for Independence.
• Tourist Promotion Committee of Serres Prefecture: 22321083375