• Visit the city of Drama which boasts a rich architectural tradition, the park of the Agia Varvara springs, and a few kilometers to the north, the hill of Korylovos for its magnificent view
• The Falakro Ski Centre at an altitude of 2111 meters offers a beautiful view and high-quality services
• It’s worth seeing: the river Nestos and its Delta which is protected by the RAMSAR Convention on Wetlands and the river Aggitis, which crosses underground a cave extending 4,5 km in length
• Visit the forest of Elatia (or Kara Dere) and the forest of Fraktou, which is a preserved natural monument. At Paranesti, visit the Museum of Natural History
• What else is there to visit? The vineyards of Drama and their visitable wineries, the area of Kato Nevrokopi famed for its low temperatures and delicious potatoes
• During the holidays of Christmas – New Year – Epiphany, one can witness the revival of the “Arapides”, the “Babougera” and “Momogeroi” local customs (a genre of popular traditional theatre) in several v
• On May 2nd (name day of Agios Athanassios) at the village of Doksato traditional horse races dating back to the Ottoman Rule Era take place
• The well-known custom of fire walking or “Anastenarides” revives each year from 19th until 23rrd May, on the name day of Agios Konstantinos and Agia Eleni, including animal sacrifices, ecstatic dance and walking on burning coals
• During the carnival period, in the village of Choristi the local carnival -active since the 1920s- is revived
• On July 20th (name day of the Holy Prophet Elias), the Sarakatsanides (Greek nomads) assemble in the forest village of Elatia
Perfecture of DRAMA
Region of Easter Macedonia-Thrace Capital town: Drama Area: Population:
Drama, a Prefecture with a rich natural environment, boasts numerous mountain ranges such as Rhodope, Menoikio, Orvilos, Paggaeo and Falakro (2232m), as well as the rivers Nestos and Aggitis, and the Aggitis cave.
The area’s architectural tradition has multifaceted expressions. Multistoried tobacco warehouses, mosques, Byzantine churches, manors, along with farmhouses have been preserved and showcase the living traditions of the past.
The rich cultural traditiοn of Drama is made diachronically evident through the numerous folklore elements, customs, Dionysian acts. The contemporaty tourist infrastructure of the Falakro Ski Centre stands 44km away from the city of Drama.
Signs of human presence in the area date back to 50000 BC. The oldest residential findings date in the Age of Copper. In the 4th century BC, the area was integrated into the Kingdom of Macedonia. The colony of Filippoi was founded during the Roman Era.
The Byzantine Era and the Ottoman conquest (1383 – 1912) have not left behind remarkable historic elements. Since 1880 the Bulgarians invaded and, finally in 1912, conquered the area. After 1920, Greek refugees from Asia Minor reflated the economy of Drama.
• Tourist Promotion Committee of Drama Prefecture: 2521062307
• Police: 2521023341 – Traffic Police: 221023333
• General Hospital of Drama: 2521023351, 2521023213
• Museums: Archaeological Museum 2521031365 – Ecclesiastical Museum 2521032362 –Natural History Museum at Paranesti 2524021010