• Visit the stone arcaded bridges of Aziz Aga at Trikomo, of Spanos and other smaller ones at Venetiko or its bayous. Near the village of Spilaio one will come across the impressive Canyon of Venetikos
• Samarina, the famous Vlach market town, is built 1400m up the hill of Smolikas Mountain. Also visit the monastery of Agia Paraskevi, built in 1713. At Palioura one can visit the Monastery of Osios Nikanoras, built in 1534, where valuable relics and significant hagiographies are being kept.
• Make a visit to the forest and the canyon of Orliakas which have been proclaimed areas of outstanding historical value
• The famed valley of Valia Calda, the Arkoudorema and the mountains of Lygkas and Mavrovouni stand at the core of the National Park of Pindos. Here lies the last refuge of the brown bear
• Vasilitsa on Mount Pindos is located at 28 kilometers from Grevena: there is a Ski Centre and two lodges for winter sports’ lovers. There is another but smaller Ski Centre at Deskati
• On August 15th, the celebration of Virgin Mary (Panagia) constitutes the epicentre of festivities for many of the villages in the wider area
• Each year, fairs are organised in the villages of Kalirachi and Lavda on June 29th; in the villages of Kalloni and Prosvoro on July 20th
• In the village of Megaro, residents welcome the New Year with the festival of the Rougkatsaria, one of the most well-known customs of the area
Perfecture of GREVENA
Region of Western Macedonia Capital town: Grevena Area: Population:
An excursion to the Prefecture of Grevena is ideal for activities in the countryside, peace and quiet. Its capital city, Grevena, is built by the bank of the river Grevenitis. The clock tower that stands in the main square of the city comprises the landmark of Grevena.
Near the borders of the Prefecture lies the Valia Calda National Park with its waters and the impressive biodiversity. All over this area, the visitor will come across magnificent stone arcaded bridges. The biggest one, the bridge of Aziz Aga, is located in the village of Toksoto.
Up on the Mountain Smolikas, at an altitude of 1450m lies the lush village of Samarina. There are other worthy villages, such as Deskati and its Ski Centre, Krania, Polyneri with its waterfall, Paliouria kai the Byzantine monastery of Osios Nikanoras.
The ancient Elimiotida had been developed in the wider area of Grevena. The city of Grevena is mentioned in texts prior to the 10th century AD; during the Frankish rule the city flourished. During the Ottoman rule, “men-at-arms” (armatoloi) and thieves (kleftes) were active, whose activities were favoured by the natural terrain.
In 1821, liberation efforts did not pan out due to the proximity to major military Turkish centres. The area was liberated on October 12th, 1912.
• Prefecture of Grevena – Tourism Bureau: 2462076318