• Visit the traditional settlements on Mount Pilion: Makrynitsa, Milies, Portaria, Zagora, etc
• Board the “Train of Milies” and enjoy the view over the Pagasitikos Gulf
• Walk along the seafront of Volos and try some sea food at the famous tsipouradika
• Visit the islands of Sporades: the verdurous Skiathos, Skopelos and the sea park of Alonnisos
• During the wintertime visit the Pilion Ski Centre, and in the summertime the beaches of Mount Pilion on the Aegean coast
Perfecture of MAGNISSIA
Region of Thessaly Capital town: Volos Area: Population:
In Magnesia lived the Centaurs; also, it was from there that Jason and the Argonauts departed for the quest of the Golden Fleece. Situated in the centre of Greece, Magnesia offers numerous possibilities for excursions throughout the year.
Mount Pilion with its picturesque villages and wild vegetation, the verdurous Sporades with their beaches, the Mediterranean Monk Seal (Monachus Monachus) in the National Marine Park of the Northern Sporades, Mount Othrys, the city of Volos with its culture: all these elements comprise the image of the Prefecture.
A scenic ride on the Old Steam Train of Pilion, a descent down the slopes of the Ski Centre with a view over the Pagasitikos Gulf, an excursion to the marine park where the seals live, are only few of the experiences that will make you love this land and revisit Magnesia!
Magnesia, according to the mythology, had been the land of Centaurs and the summer residence of the Olympian Gods and Goddesses. Additionally, the Argonautic Expedition set off from Iolkos. The earliest historical references are the paleolithic findings at the settlements of Sesklo and Dimini.
The towns of Pagases and Dimitriada flourished during the Antiquity. Development at Mount Pilion began since the 10th century AD, while during the Ottoman Rule this area preserved to a great extent its independence. The contacts of several Thessalians with the West led to the local dissemination of Enlightenment ideas.
• EOT (GNTO - Greek National Tourism Organisation) of Magnesia: 2421024915, 2421036233
• Tourist Police: Volos 2421072420, 2421072421
• General Hospital of Volos: 2421027531, 2421039225, 2421030012