• Take a trip to Skorpios, the island that belonges to the Greek tycoon Onasis, and the nearby small islands of Madouri and Meganisi
• Make an excursion to the beaches on the western side of the island and especially to those of Porto Katsiki and Egkremnoi
• Do not miss the annual Festival of Speech and Arts during the month of August
• Watch the reenactment of the traditional wedding in the village of Karya
Perfecture of LEFKADA
Region of Ionian Islands Capital town: Lefkada Area: Population:
This is the only one Ionian island that has a more “mainland” feel due to its road connection to mainland Greece. Still, Lefkada is an equally beautiful island. Its capital, the city of Lefkada, is the first urban settlement you will come across upon your arrival.
The characteristic traits of the capital city are the wooden colourful buildings and the lagoon, which is inhabited by rare bird species, while its shores are of unique natural beauty. Around Lefkada, there are some famous small islands such as Skorpios and Madouri.
Its beaches are the most appealing and impressive trait of the island. Steep rocks and amazing colourings compose impressive landscapes: Porto Katsiki, Egkremnoi, Kathisma are the most famous beaches.
Life on the island begins circa 8000 BC. The residents of Lefkada took part in the Naval Battle of Salamina, in the battles at Plataies, in the Peloponnese War, in the expedition of Alexander the Great. During the Byzantine period, the island became a province of the Seigniory of Epirus.
Then followed the Venetian rule and another 180 years of Ottoman rule. The island returned to the Venetial rule, then to the French and later to the English who built significant infrastructure projects. Lefkada became part of the Greek State in 1864 together with the rest of the Ionian Islands.
• Prefecture of Lefkada Tourism Bureau: 265021713
• Police: 2645029375
• Lefkada General Hospital: 2645025371, 2645025376
• Fire Department: 2645022555
• Archaeological Museum of Lefkada: 2645021635
How to get there
• You can access the island by car. Extra attention is required in reference to the numerous road turns