• Visit the historic centre of Corfu and wander around the kantounia
• Walk around Spianada, the biggest square in the Balkans, Liston and the two Fortresses
• Visit the churches of Agios Spyridonas and Agia Theodora where their remains are still kept
• Visit “Achilleion”, the summer palace of the Empress Sissi and the renowned statue of Achilles, who is stricken by an arrow
• Always keep the most typical image of Corfu: the Cannon, the Convent of our Lady Vlachernai, and the islet of Pontikonisi
• Visit Corfu during Easter time when the most well known celebrations in Greece take place; residents break the urns at the time of the first Resurrection
• Do not miss the litanies of Agios Spyridonas which are accompanied by the 20 local philarmonic orchestras
Perfecture of KERKYRA
Region of Ionian Islands Capital town: Kerkyra Area: Population:
Corfu, one of the most beautiful Greek islands, combines an unparalleled natural beauty and a rich cultural heritage. Its capital, the city of Corfu is one of the most impressive Greek cities with the square of Spianada, the kantounia (narrow streets), the arched colonnade of Liston, the church of Agios Spyridonas.
To the west of the city lies the village of Palaiokastritsa and the castle of Angelokastro; to the south, the village of Kanoni and the islet of Pontikonisi (Mouse Island). Across from Pontikonisi rises the hill of Gastourion where the Achilleion summer palace of the Empress Sissi is built.
All over Corfu, visitors will probably get to listen to the music played by one of the 20 philarmonic orchestras of the island. Each year during Easter time, visitors can get to know the special local customs, which constitute a pole of attraction for visitors from all over the world.
Corfu, the island of Faiakes, is the land where Ulysses met Nausika. The island came under Corinthian, Spartan, Syracusian, Roman, Byzantine, Venetian and Epirote domination.
After the 400-year Venetian rule, the conquerors left their mark on the cultural life of Corfu; as a result, the island flourished in literature and the arts. The Venetian fortresses, the Venetian monuments, the lyrical theatre comprise the remnants of the Venetian dominance.
How to get there
• Access to Igoumenitsa by car demands extra attention. Sea itineraries are frequent.