• In Kalamata, walk around the historic centre, the Church of Agioi Apostoloi, the castle surrounding the city and the Monastery of Kalogries
• Visit the 25 villages of the Messenian Mani, the most significant being the traditional settlement of Kardamyli
• Take a trip to the spacious archaeological site at Messini; further up stands the Monastery of Voulkanos which nowadays is a preservable monument
• Visit the area of Pylia, the castle city of Methoni, the medieval Koroni and the palace of Nestor in Chora
• Do not miss seeing the old city of Kyparissia and further to the north, the Temple of Epicure Apollo at Bassae and the impressive landscape formed by the valley of Neda
Perfecture of MESSINIA
Region of Peloponnese Capital town: Kalamata Area: Population:
If you haven’t yet visited Messenia, then you have not tasted the Messenian olive oil and you have not hummed the local folk songs. It is high time to make a visit to the Prefecture of Messenia and discover its secret delights!
Stretching over the southwestern part of Greece where the Mountains of Taygetos, Lykaios, Kyparissia’s Tetrazio stand as natural border, Messenia invites visitors to unforgettable getaways. In between these mountains lies the fertile valley of Messenia.
The Prefecture of Messenia is rich in history and natural beauties which are displayed everywhere: in Kalamata and its historic centre, in Kardamyli with the traditional settlement, in the Messenian Mani, in the castles of Methoni and Koroni, in Pylos where the wise Nestor was King.
During the Prehistoric Era, Messenia had been inhabited as proved by the findings in several parts of the Prefecture. In the Mycenaean period, Messenia had been the most densely populated area in Peloponnese. The 13th century BC was marked by the Dorian descent.
In the 8th century BC, the Messenians wars with the Laconians led to the subjugation of the Messenians. In 1205 AD Messenia was included in the Princedom of Achaia. In 1821, the area played a decisive part in the Greek Revolution; in 1827 the Sea Fight of Navarino took place.
• Police Department of Messenia: 2721044600 – Traffic Police: 2721044634, 2721044631 – Touristic Police: 2721044681, 2721044680
• Hospitals: General Hospital of Kalamata: 2721046000 – General Hospital of Kyparissia: 2761022321 – General Hospital of Pylos: 2723022315