• Visit the Archaeological Museum of Thebes with is extremely rich collection; in Chaeronea, the great lion in memory of the Theban Sacred Band who died in the battle against King Philip the 2nd of Macedonia in 338 BC; in Orhomenos, the Chamber Tomb, the Ancient Theatre and the Mycenaean Palace.
• Make an excursion to Arahova, which besides its natural beauty and traditional style, is the most cosmopolital winter resort in Greece. Nearby Arahova are the Ski Centres of Parnassos and the site of Delphi
• Take a trip to the Monastery of Osios Loukas, founded in the 10th century AD that preserves unique architectural and decorative elements, such as the murals, the rich sculpture decorations and the mosaics of Metabyzantine style
• In your wanderings around Viotia, visit the gardens of Aliartos, the valley of the Muses on Mount Helikon, the Korykeion Cave on Mount Parnassos, the springs of the Charites in Orhomenos and the springs of Erkyna in Livadia
• In Livadia, don’t miss the springs of Krya around which an impressive landscape has been created by renovated industrial and other interesting buildings, the Castle and the route of the river Erkynas
Perfecture of VIOTIA
Region of Sterea Ellada Capital town: Levadia Area: Population:
Nearby Athens, the Prefecture of Viotia displays several places of interest. The capital city of Livadia preserves many elements of its past. The springs of Krya in Livadia are one of the city’s most beautiful sites where visitors can enjoy a view comprised of bridges, old buildings and canals.
Arahova, a traditional settlement and the most well-known winter destination in Greece, is the basis for excursions to the Ski Centres of Parnassos. A few kilometers before Arahova, you will come across Distomo where the Massacre of Distomo took place, while at the Monastery of Osios Loukas you will admire the famous mosaics.
The “Seven-gated” Thebes holds an archaeological interest; in Chaeronea, the Lion of Thebes stands lofty. There are beaches by the Corinthian Gulf (Sarantis, Livadostra) and by the Evoikos Gulf that will amaze you with their clean blue waters.
Settlements had been established since the Neolithic Era. The oldest inhabitants were the Pelasgoi, the Leleges and Kadmeioi. During the Mycenaean period, Viotia flourished. In 479 BC one of the most important battles against the Persians took place in Plataies.
For the duration of the Peloponnesian War, the Boeotians took the side of the Spartans. In 379 BC, the generals Pelopidas and Epaminondas bolstered Thebes until the descent of King Philip of Macedonia the 2nd. In 1829 AD, the last battle against the Turks took place in Petra under the commands of Dimitrios Ypsilantis.
• Tourist Promotion Committee of Viotia Prefecture: 2261086336
• Police: 2261088835 – Traffic Police: 2261088845
• Livadia Prefectural General Hospital: 2261022222, 2261020051